Ransomware is malicious computer code that has been written in order to illegally elicit money from unsuspecting victims. The code is normally delivered by one of the following methods and infects the computer, network or data:
- Misleading and well disguised SPAM emails lead you to click on a link or open an attachment that infects your computer
- Infected removable USB drives or USB pens automatically install the virus when they are connected to a PC
- By other malicious software that delivers the ransomware attache, this is also referred to as an attack by Trojan Horse
- Compromised websites that may be unknowingly infected with code that distributed the ransomware
What steps can you take to mitigate an infection:
- Prevention: network firewall and internet traffic filters can prevent access to malicious websites
- Protection: endpoint security software configured to block PC attacks and suspicious program activities
- Backup: automated daily off-site backups are the only way to guarantee recovery
At Cactus IT, we are aligned with the right technology partners to help you prevent, protect and recover from ransomware attacks. We are here to give advice and recommend any action required to protect your business in this new era of cyber crime.
There are a growing number of free resources available now to help combat and recover data from infections, most notably is the website NoMoreRansom that is run by the National High Tech Crime Unit of the Netherlands’ police in collaboration with Europol’s European Cybercrime Centre.
For more information, please call us on 01943 666 711 or contact us via the support utility on our home page.